Pages

Sunday 11 April 2010

GIG REVIEW: Diana Vickers, The Cooler, Bristol, 20/03/10.

I wasn’t totally sure what to expect from this gig. I loved Diana on the X Factor live shows, but I was not sure about some of her song choices. Of course the majority of the songs weren’t her choice at all, but With Or Without You and White Flag were excellent, whereas Smile just did not suit her. When she sang Damien Rice’s The Blower’s Daughter at her audition all the judges instantly recognised her potential, but she was later, at times, pushed away from the style of music she would be more comfortable performing. On the X Factor tour Diana gave outstanding performances despite the unnecessary showy props – the bed, the telephone, the wind machine etc. She turned out an excellent performance in Little Voice, but in terms of singing of course Diana had to perform impersonations (apart from Sunlight).
My hopes were raised when I saw and heard Diana at some of her post-tour gigs, when she sang great covers like Snow Patrol’s Run and an indie-sounding version of Beyonce’s Halo. Even better was the ‘leaked’ Jumping Into Rivers – catchy and unique – with a definite ‘Diana’ sound. Then...Once. I wasn’t hugely keen at first but it grew on me. Next the tracks from the album sampler were leaked. A few tracks sounded exceptional but Remake Me and You worried me a bit because it sounded to electronic and over-produced, but I liked the song. I particularly liked the Boy Who Murdered Love, and the title of the album...Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree...brilliant! So much better than just calling it ‘Diana’ or whatever.
So as I said I wasn’t sure what to expect on the first official gig of Diana’s pre-album tour. My doubts disappeared as soon as Diana and her band hit the stage and started to bash out The Boy Who Murdered Love. This was the REAL Diana at last, singing an edgy and original song, backed simply by guitar, keyboards, drums and bass. It rocked! The fact that the club was pretty tiny really, so the audience (myself included) had to play sardines at the front of the stage, just inches from Diana and her band...this all added to the atmosphere. ALL the songs now sounded like they should; those that stood out where The Boy..., My Hip (Diana on the trumpet!), Once, an intense version of Just Say Yes (written originally for Diana by Snow Patrol's Gazza B), the slow ballad Numb...agh...they ALL stood out.
Diana’s confidence on stage has grown immensely. She looked stunning, wearing a bright red dress with diamondy bits on it (sorry, I am not Gok Wan). She OWNED the stage and showed a real appreciation towards the audience. “You’re amazing!” shouted one fan...”YOU’RE amazing” Diana replied in an instant. After the gig Diana stopped outside the club, as friendly as usual, signing autographs and posing for pics before being whisked away with her band in the tour bus. This was a great gig. Don’t take my word for it, there are already videos appearing on YouTube. But, importantly, see Diana Vickers and her band live, now, in a small venue, while you still can...there’s tickets out there. I promise you that you will not regret it. I do believe that many X Factor sceptics, those who think this is all too commercial and ‘poppy’, or say they just don’t like Diana Vickers’ voice will be won over if they get to a gig soon.

Set List:
  1. The Boy Who Murdered Love
  2. Remake Me and You
  3. N.U.M.B
  4. Put It Back Together Again
  5. Four Leaf Clover
  6. Jumping Into Rivers
  7. Just Say Yes
  8. My Hip
  9. Once
  10. Notice




Thanks to Kasera for the youTube upload.
Photograph by NickOLarse.

No comments:

Post a Comment