Pages

Thursday 22 April 2010

GIG REVIEW: Foy Vance, Bracknell Wilde Theatre, 21/04/10.


Foy Vance's own website says the following:

"His music is an evolving journey, a constant search for artistic expression captured in the moment, operating well away from industry standards.  Surely you’ll hear echoes of Otis Redding, Richie Havens, Tom Waits and Van Morrison in Foy’s music, legends he’s already being compared to and definite influences. An ever so modest Foy will laugh at these comparisons, but then again that’s what makes him so special." 

This was the second time I had seen Foy Vance in the last few months, having caught him at The Jericho Tavern, Oxford in December. Once again I paid about ten quid to see a performance that was truly priceless. He played for a good two hours and I was totally captivated from start to finish. I don't know how to even start to describe what a fantastic songwriter, musician and performer Foy is. He delivered a hugely diverse set and produced an amazing range of sounds with his great guitar playing, some skilfully used electronic loopy gadgetry and his gritty, soulful voice. The audience rocked along to his bluesy riffs and listened in pin-drop silence to his jaw-droppingly beautiful ballads. His final song, "Guiding Light" carried a particulary powerful emotional impact. If he were allowed, Foy would have played all night, and I for one would have happily listened all night. I have just ordered everything he has ever recorded from my local HMV and I can't wait to see him again.

This is the best recording of this song I could find, from a gig in Switzerland. His use of the loop recording technology is brilliant:



Foy Vance's incredible cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean":

No comments:

Post a Comment